Thursday, May 16, 2013

Helliwell's First Employer in Tampa

We will recall from a prior post that CIA paymaster Paul Helliwell in his youth was listed as the manager of a liquor distribution company in 1934, the same year Prohibition ended. The treasurer of this enterprise was a Tampa attorney, Cody Fowler, who had arrived from Oklahoma some 12 years earlier.

Cuban Rum, Inc.'s Cody Fowler
Pettingill fired by Pres. T. Roosevelt

Employed by Cuban Rum, Inc. as Secretary and Manager, attorney Cody Fowler, whose mother was a real estate developer who came to Tampa from Jacksonville, was the treasurer for Cuban Rum, Inc. The address for the rum distributor was in the Citizens Bank Building, 706 Franklin in Tampa, coincidentally, where Fowler’s law office (MacFarlane, Pettingill, MacFarlane) was then housed in room 921. The building was torn down in 1978, the same year Cody Fowler died.

One of that firm's senior partners, Noah Brooks Kent Pettingill, came from a family which first moved to Tampa in 1884. He had been appointed Law Judge of the United States Provisional Court for the military district in Puerto Rico during the end of the Spanish-American War; following that, he became U.S. Attorney in Porto Rico, as it was then called.

He was, however, summarily fired by President Theodore Roosevelt in late 1906 after it was learned he had privately taken a case against other "colleagues" within the insular court system, whose names were not revealed. It is possible, however, that what led to his  dismissal was a scandal in 1903--a smuggling indictment involving naval officers in a court within Pettingill's jurisdiction--a scandal which saved the careers of the officers by throwing Pettingill under the tracks. We can only wonder what Pettingill learned from this experience.

Macfarlane family
Pettingill eventually retreated to western Florida to practice law in the firm joined by Cody Fowler in 1924. Pettingill's sister had married Scotsman, Hugh Campbell MacFarlane, who had helped organize the Tampa Board of Trade in 1885 to create a port at Tampa Bay and to lure cigar manufacturers to the area. He purchased 200 acres of marshy land on the west bank of the Hillsborough River, which he developed into West Tampa, a city independent of Tampa itself, which included at least 2,000 Cubans as early as 1895. Howard Street in West Tampa was named for Macfarlane's son, Howard Pettingill Macfarlane, a third partner in the law firm. It is, therefore, not surprising that Fowler, or possibly even his partners Macfarlane and Pettingill, through their investment company, would have been interested in setting up a business to import Cuban rum to take advantage of the end of Prohibition in December 1933. It is not known how long the relationship lasted between Paul Helliwell and the lawyers of the firm, or even whether they may have made use of the strategic position of Paul's father in the Customs house in Tampa, but the question is worth considering.

Nothing But Lies? 


Click to enlarge. Maude the only woman.
Cody Fowler’s mother, Maude Cody had been born in 1875 in Memphis, TN, the daughter of Joseph L. Cody (claimed in a DAR application to have been a relative of the famous scout and showman, “Buffalo Bill” Cody). While quite young, it has been alleged, she relocated to "Kansas City where she became one of the most successful women of the business world in that city and, as Vice President of the Security Underwriters Corp. of Kansas City, she was one of few strong businesswomen of that day and also headed the the Kansas City Women’s Athletic Club." 

Oklahoma City addresses
None of these statements can be verified. The only Maude Fowler found in the Kansas City directory during those years was single and worked in a laundry. Who invented all the lies about Maude Cody Fowler's life before she came to Florida? Such as a D.A.R. application claiming a link to Buffalo Bill Cody? Her non-existent connection to the Kansas City Women’s Athletic Club? What were these people trying to hide? Perhaps additional research will answer those questions.

The Fowlers--Hotel Managers in Oklahoma City

Mrs. Fowler was married to Orin Scott Fowler, proprietor of Fowler Auto Livery in Oklahoma City, after moving from place to place for many years. They were married in Tennessee, but moved to Missouri where their son, Orin Cody Fowler went to law school. They also lived briefly in Texas and El Reno, Oklahoma.  O. Cody Fowler, as Maude Fowler's son was called, married Maude Stewart, whose father Thomas J. Stewart Sr. was a wealthy lumber man in Arkansas before locating to Oklahoma City, where his office was in the Insurance Building, 114 No. Broadway.

Orin Scott and Maude Cody Fowler lived in Oklahoma City in 1918, managing the Hotel Lawrence, at 15 West Grand Avenue.  The 1917 directory also listed the older Fowler couple as proprietors of the Martinique and Hadden Hall hotels in the city. They never resided in Kansas City.
 
Oklahoma City's Martinique Hotel at 112 N.W. 7th Avenue was less than two blocks east of the site where the Murrah federal building would be destroyed years later by whoever was directing the actions of Timothy McVeigh. Hadden Hall--215 N.W. 10th, three blocks north of the Murrah Building -- was where all the Fowlers lived in 1917, just prior to the parents' departure for Florida, and it stood in the heart of the city across the street from the Santa Fe depot, often called the Frisco and Rock Island Railroads, about which this blog deals in connection with the career of Prescott Bush's father-in-law, George Herbert Walker.

Cody Fowler, past department commander of the American Legion in Oklahoma, was honored by "several hundred Legionnaires from all points in the state assembled at the home of the Oklahoma City post" on August 19, 1924, before officially setting out for Tampa, Florida where he would rejoin his parents. The item, which appeared in the Ardmore daily newspaper, stated
"Fowler will leave Oklahoma soon for Tampa, Florida, where he will enter a prominent law firm of the Sunshine State." 

Even after moving to Florida, Cody Fowler continued his involvement with the American Legion and also became active in the chamber of commerce. By 1950 he was president of the American Bar Association. His father had long since died, but his mother was active for years in Tampa real estate.

What Happened in Jacksonville?

Orin S. and Maude C. Fowler's names appeared as managers of Artesian Farm Land Sales in the 1913 city directory of Jacksonville, Florida, with their address shown as the Hotel Jackson, 206 Main. Artesian Farms had been incorporated in 1910 by the Bolles Trust Co. and the son of former Florida governor, William Sherman Jennings.

Governor Jennings moved from Chicago to Florida in 1885, settling in Jacksonville after serving as Florida's governor 1901-05. William Jennings Bryan had also been born in Illinois, his mother Mariah Jennings, sister of William Sherman Jennings, having married in 1852 her brother's law partner, Virginia-born Silas Bryan, who moved west to Illinois after his parents died. His own death occurred in Marion, Illinois in 1880, when his eldest son, named for his wife's brother, was a young student of 20 with four younger siblings. 

In 1881 William J. Bryan began law school in Chicago, spending much of his time at the home of former Senator Lyman Trumbull; in 1883 he began practicing law in Jacksonville, Illinois, where he married in 1884, but by 1887 the newlyweds had moved to Lincoln, Nebraska, from which district he was elected to Congress as a Democrat and began serving in Washington in January 1891. His mother's brother, William Sherman Jennings,
 
 who built a home on Biscayne Bay in 1913, and was "very active locally, promoting the sale of real estate for George Merrick, the founder of Coral Gables," was the governor's first cousin.

The Artesian Farm Land Co. was at that time housed in the Dyal-Upchurch Building, at 4 East Bay in room 310, next door to the Atlantic and East Coast Terminal company (see ad above left). It clearly was near the corner of Main and East Bay years before the Main Street bridge was constructed. 

Church near old Hadden Hall in 1917
Directories for 1917 and 1918 also show the O. Cody Fowler family living in Jacksonville at 721 West 15th Avenue, though simultaneously claiming to be a resident of Oklahoma City, at Hadden Hall, on West (now NW) 10th Street (between N. Robinson and N. Harvey avenues), only a half block from First Christian Church. A duplicative listing in the 1920 Census, however, showed the family living with his wife's parents in Oklahoma City.

http://www.ocgi.okstate.edu/shpo/nhrpdfs/79002006.pdf
At some point prior to 1920 the Fowlers bought a house in Jacksonville, as the U.S. Census for that year shows Orin S. and Maude C. Fowler living on Edgewood Avenue. Maude's younger sister Elsie Lee Cody, an unmarried school teacher, moved to Florida from the Texas panhandle and later lived at 1860 Oak in Jacksonville. The Fowlers listed their occupations that year as druggist and truck garden farmer--far from being the eminent businesswoman from Kansas City touted in sales brochures!

Perhaps the lies had something to do with the massive fraudulent schemes which had already been occurring in Florida as early as 1912. One newspaper, the Miami Metropolis, had traced the fraud to Wall Street and to some land investors operating all over the country at the time, in particular the Security Underwriters Corp. of Kansas City mentioned above
Click image to enlarge.

 We'll examine these allegations in future posts.

No comments: